Monday, June 16, 2008

Flip-flops

I just read an article in the Sunday Times (June 15) on flip flops and I agree with the author.

Young adults like my friends are wearing flip-flops everywhere nowadays, to the pub, to school, to restaurants, to their workplaces. I really don't like this trend. Although fans of flip-flops may say that they are very comfortable and that they are good for our hot climate, but I still think that they should not be worn everywhere.

I have never been a big fan of flip-flops. Fans of flip-flops say that they are very comfortable, but I don't find it so. I get blisters if I wear them too often. The only pair of flip-flops I have is the pair that I wear at home. Another reason I don't like them is that they are ridiculously expensive. For $26.90, I can get a pair of pretty decent heels.

Like what the article says, there are some places where flip-flops are not appropriate, no matter how you look at it, such as restaurants.

There is one paragraph in the article which I really like:

"Dressing correctly has to be cultivated, and most parents here probably don't teach their children that you have to dress appropriately as a mark of respect for yourselves and others."

This is one of the reasons I don't like Singaporeans. They dress sloppily, and they have a hundred reasons why it is absolutely acceptable to dress like that. They would be laughed at if they were to dress like this in other countries.

I must make sure I teach my children to dress appropiately.

No comments: