Friday, July 18, 2008

Book Sale

I was so very excited when I read about the NLB sale in the newspaper a few days ago. Chinese and English books are sold at $2 per book. This is like a dream come true! Although it is a little far to get there (Expo Hall 4a), but it's worth it for such a good deal.



But I forgot one thing: all NLB books have this huge barcode at the bottom of the spine. This is a great convenience when you are looking for a book among the millions of books in the libraries, but it's a different story when I am actually buying a book.


You see, I just cannot stand stickers or price tags of any kind on my books. My book means that I paid for that book and I own that book. Yeah, I know I am weird, but this is just how I am. How would you feel if someone paste all sorts of stickers on you? You wouldn't like it, would you?


Plus, I have gotten perfectly fine books without any of the sticker nonsense for about the same price. At book sales and second-hand bookstores.


That's why I love Bras Basah Complex (only the links in Chinese works). There are quite a few second-hand bookstores and many big bookstores such as POPULAR selling the latest bestsellers. There are also a lot of bookstores selling Chinese books imported directly from China, books find in the local bookstores. It's not called 书城 for nothing, I guess.


They had a book sale in March apparently and I missed it! Nevermind, there's always a next time.

It would be nice if the website could be updated more frequently. At least make sure that the links can be used and the pictures can be seen!

No comments: