Thursday, August 13, 2009

Plastics

I am now in the midst of trying to remove all traces of plastic from my life, and I am failing miserably. I know that plastic is a very common material in our modern society, but I never realised that it is that common. They are everywhere!

It is so much lighter than most materials and it is super cheap. I think that's the thing that attracts most people to it. It is crazily cheap. You can get a stack of 6 plastic cups for about $1.80 That's just $0.30 per cup! It's no wonder why everyone is so fond of plastic stuff. Plus, it does not rust, it will not break.

Then I read one article which changed my mind about plastic, totally. I mean, I have always known that plastic is not bio-degradable and that it will cause destruction to the earth in the long run, but it didn't bother me much. I probably won't live to see how plastic will destruct the earth anyway, that's what I was thinking back then. I don't know what it is (I don't even remember if it was an article or something else), but I suddenly changed my mind about plastic. I know it's not a lot, but I want to do my bit by not using a material that cannot decompose, that will accumulate and possibly take over the earth one day.

Plus, I do have my reasons for not liking plastics (besides the face that it is not bio-degradable): it scratches easily, it stains easily, and it is not healthy to eat food heated from a plastic container because the plastic will infuse into the food (read that somewhere).

Hence, I embarked on my journey to remove every trace of plastic from my room, from my life.

Problem is, it's almost impossible to do so! Where am I supposed to store my body wash solutions and shampoo if I don't use the plastic bottles they came in? Where can I put my photos if I don't slot them into the photo albums with the plastic slots?

This is driving me nuts!

No comments: