Sunday, January 05, 2014

DIY/Homemade Shampoo

It's the start of a brand new year, and one of the projects I have decided to embark on this year is to make homemade shampoo, body wash and facial cleanser. '

It is only recently that I realised how much harsh chemicals I am subjecting my body to everyday. It's so scary when I read articles that says cocamide diethanolamine (cocamide DEA) causes cancer and sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)/sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) can lead to direct damage to the hair follicle, skin damage, permanent eye damage in children and even liver toxicity.


This causes me to decide to stop using commercial shampoo, body wash and facial. 



I have decided to start with shampoo.


Ingredients (I live in Singapore, I assure you all the ingredients can be found at the places I mention): 

  • 500ml/2 cup Castile Soap (I use Dr. Bonner's which can be found in organic stores and Qoo10)
  • 500ml/2 cups Olive Oil (found in all major supermarkets)
  • 50 drops Essential Oil (from The Body Shop)
Directions: Mix all ingredients in a bottle and shake well before use

Please bear with me while I twig the recipe until I get it right.

*Note: Your hair will be oily while your body expels the chemicals that has been accumulating in your body. Some people take a shorter time, some people take a longer time. 






No comments: