Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Oyster Bar & Grill Wharf

In the past, when I think of oysters, the picture that comes to mind are the slimy little things found in oyster omelette, and they have a fishy taste. I didn't like them very much. 

Then, the boyfriend brought me to this restaurant called Oyster Bar & Grill Wharf which is a  Western restaurant located at Roberson Quay. His close friend's girlfriend is working there.   

This is where my love affair with oysters started.

On my first visit, the boyfriend somehow managed to convince me to try their Fried Oysters.


The oysters arrived on a bed of sea salt, each fried to a perfect golden colour and resting neatly in their shells. Before I even start eating, the presentation has already won me over.

I hesitantly took a bite into one and the taste just blew me away. There is no fishy taste, there is no saltiness; there is only the creaminess of the oysters. If I didn't know that I am eating oyster, I would have thought I am eating cheese. There is a brown sauce in the shell that is meant to be eaten with the oyster. The slightly salty sauce balances out the oiliness, but I didn't really use much of the sauce because I was too busy enjoying myself in oyster heaven.

I was never an oyster lover, until now.

This is their oyster platter, where we have the French oysters to the left and Canadian oysters to the right. Everyone have their preferred way of eating fresh oysters, I like mine with a squeeze of lemon and a dash of Tabasco. Oh, they are so fresh and crunchy.


The restaurant also serves other food beside oysters. I have had the pleasure of trying their Sirloin Steak, Hamburger Steak, Cheese and Italian Sausages and Oyster Chowder (pictures not in order). 




There is only one word needed to describe the food here: excellent. The Sirloin Steak is done to a perfect medium rare, just as I have requested. The Hamburger Steak is so juicy and full of flavour and the Italian Sausages are flavourful. The Oyster Chowder is creamy and oh-so-good.

Besides oysters, the other speciality of this restaurant is their mojitos. They have 100 different mojitos, and I have made it my personal aim to try each and every one of them.

So far I have had Wharf, Cinderella and Ginger Mint Tea (pictures not in order). 




We even got to try the Valentine's Day Special Mojito, which is created by Stella (boyfriend's close friend's girlfriend, who is now my roommate) herself! 


If your perception of oysters is still at the slimy and fishy 'things' in oyster omelettes, or you want a nice drink to chill out after work or a satisfyingly good meal, Oyster Bar & Grill is definitely the place to be.  

No comments: