Friday, March 21, 2014

Rakutzen (Millennia Walk)

I have cravings on a regular basis. All-day breakfast, ice-cream, pizza, eggs ... the list goes on forever. 

Once I have satisfied my craving, my cravings usually go away quite fast. I have been having this ramen craving for a week now. The fact that I am being frozen half to death in the office probably doesn't help.

I found this Japnese restaurant called Nantsuttei which is located at Millennia Walk, which is just perfect since Millennia walk is opposite the building where I work.

However, I was told that restaurant has already closed down, so I had to look for an alternative. I didn't want to waste my lunch hour hunting for another restaurant, so I settled for the first Japanese restaurant that I could find, which is Rakuten.

Rakuzen is so not a ramen restaurant, since they only have two options for ramen. I ordered Oxtail Miso Ramen, since it's something I have never heard of (and probably never will again).


It looks really appetising, but as the saying goes "looks can be deceiving", it's really not that great. 

I have always been a tonkotsu person, so I might be a little biased here, but I find that the broth is a little too thin for me. It lacks the punch, the satisfying kick that leaves you feeling ... for lack of a better word - satisfied. There are bits of oxtail in the soup which is rather interesting. I asked for a top-up of tamago (which is Japanese marinated soft boiled egg, for you non-ramen lovers out there) and what I got was really a hard boiled egg. Thanks, I would have ordered a hard boiled egg if I had wanted one. 

On a side note, I love their chopsticks. They are not the usual cheap bamboo ones used everywhere else, they are the real deal made of good quality wood.

  

No comments: