Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Taipei Trip (18-22 May 2014)

I have been absent for the past week because I went to Taipei for a 5-day trip with Boyfriend and I would like to share my trip with you, my dear readers.

This is my first time visiting Taipei. I have been wanting to go to Taipei for years, but something always came up so I had to postpone my plans again and again.

Boyfriend knows that he has not been able to spend a lot of time with me and he knows that I am dying to go to Taipei, he planned this trip so that we can spend some quality time together. So sweet of him!

I made booking for the flights (Cathay Pacific) and accommodation through airbnb (it's my first time using this platform and I am hooked) where I booked a residential apartment for two people at just S$247 for 5 days for nights (that's less than S$50 - that's so cheap!).

Note: This is going to be a really long post, so be prepared!

Day 1 (18 May 2014)



We checked-in with a backpack each (we are going to get luggages in Taipei). Taipei, here we come!


We had to transit at Hong Kong (stupid Cathay Pacific) and it was a mad rush, but thankfully there was no flight delay and we reached Taipei on time.

We decided to take the host's suggestion and took the Airport Shuttle Bus which only cost $250 for two but we missed our stop and we had to take a taxi to our accommodation.


It's not a 5-star hotel, but it is clean and all necessary amenities such as towels, bathroom mat, hair-dryer, WIFI, a queen bed and clean linens are all provided, I am very satisfied.




After putting down our bags and resting for a it, we took a cab to 西门町 (XiMenDing), one of the most well-known shopping district in Taipei.


We didn't buy anything, this is more like a preliminary walk to get the feel of the place. We had dinner at Coco Ichibanya. I was a little unhappy that we came all the way to Taipei to eat something that we have in Singapore, but I was soon won over. 

I ordered Omu Omelette with Chicken Cream. I chose Set A which comes with 2 sides, so I asked for a Cream of Mushroom Soup and Mango Ice-cream. 



Cream of Mushroom Soup is average, but I wasn't really expecting anything spectacular. 


The Omu Omelette with Chicken Cream is creamy and delicious. 


Mango Ice-cream was the perfect end to a good meal. Its sweetness and coldness cleans the palate after a hearty meal.  



Coco Ichibanya is apparently very popular in Taipei, it is a chain restaurant. They even have their own feedback form, pen, and napkins.


This is our loot for the first day. 



I got to try the famous 阿宗面线 (Ah Zong Mee Sua) - I actually think Singapore's version is nicer.

Boyfriend was hungry later at night, so I bought 牛肉面 (Beef Noodles) from the shop next to where we are staying. How convenient!

Day 2 (19 May 2014)

We were both tired and it was raining outside so we decided to stay in and we went to 宁夏夜市 (Ning Xia Night Market) in the evening. 


宁夏夜市 (Ning Xia Night Market) is rather a small night market and Boyfriend seemed not really in the mood, so we ended up only buying 炸臭豆腐 (Fried Smelly Tofu). 



We also bought ...


my favourite 水饺 (Steamed Dumplings)


Boyfriend's favourite 锅贴 (Fried Dumplings)


Boyfriend's favourite 卤肉饭 (Braised Meat Rice)


高雄 黑轮大王 (King of Hei Lun from GaoXiong) for me ...

We had a feast!

Day 3 (20 May 2014) 

We slept till noon and then we went to 西门町 (Xi Men Ding) for some shopping. 

We had some authentic Taiwanese food for lunch. 


卤肉饭 (Braised Meat Rice) and 面线 (Mee Sua)


河仔煎 (Oyster Omelette) 




This is our loot for the third day. 


I got to eat the famous 芒果刨冰 (Mango Ice) - I think the ones in Singapore are just as good.


Oh, guess what I found while we were shopping? There really is a 峨眉街 (E-mei Street)! Fans of martial art books such as 金庸 and 古龙  will know what I am talking about.

We went to 士林夜市 (Shi Lin Night Market) in the evening where I got to eat so many of Taiwan's famous street snacks!



I was really surprised to find 北京羊肉串 (Beijing Lamb Skewers) in Taiwan. I have been craving for this for so long. They are delicious!



This is 大饼包小饼 (Small Bun in Big Bun). Maybe I chose the wrong filling, but it is not as tasty as I thought it would be.



This is 臭豆腐 (Stinky Tofu), the wet version. You have the option to add 鸭血 (Duck Blood). Believe me, this is ten times more smelly than the fried version. If you are new to this Taiwan delicacy, I suggest that you stick to the fired version.




This is one of the more innovative and new Taiwan street snack, 士林干贝烧 (Shilin Grilled Scallops). I asked for the 随便 (Anything) flavour which is basically a combination of all the flavours and it wasn't that great. I should probably stick to the more traditional flavours, but the scallops are really succulent and fresh.


This is 大肠包小肠 (Small Intestine in Big Intestine). It is hotdog in a long rice burger, with sauce and pieces of cucumber. It looks greasy, but it surprisingly refreshing and delicious.

Day 4 (21 May 2014)

I wanted to try the Taiwan version of 豆浆油条 (Soya Bean Drink and Fried Fritters), so I got some. 

Seriously, I am not impressed. The soya bean drink are not freshly-made and the fried fritters are so hard and dry! I miss the ones we have back in Singapore. Freshly-made soya bean drink with fried fritters that is crispy on the outside but still soft on the inside - it's the perfect breakfast. 

We decided to go to 淡水码头 (Danshui Ferry Pier), so we took a cab which cost us NT$500. When we reached our destination, it was drizzling and the wind was howling. We were sorely undressed for this weather and we were shivering.  I only managed to take one photo before Boyfriend dragged me onto the bus back. 


The bus brought us to 淡水捷运站 (Danshui MRT Station) where we finally got to take the Taiwan subway. 


In the evening, we went back to 士林夜市 (Shilin Night Market) where we went on a shopping spree for super cheap clothes and shoes.


Day 5 (22 May 2014)

Today is our last day in Taiwan. Our flight is not until 6pm, so we went to 西门町 (XiMenDing) where we bought souvenirs and did some last-minute shopping. 


 Isn't my leather jacket gorgeous?

That basically sums up my Taiwan trip. It was such a great trip. I got to spend a lot of quality time with Boyfriend, we ate lots of food and we bought a lot of shopping. 

Oh, while I was in Taiwan, Boyfriend introduced me to this brand of coffee called 纯粹。喝 (Just. Drink). 




I normally don't drink coffee because I find them too bitter but this brand's coffee is not so strong and the taste is very smooth. Try it if you visit Taiwan. 

No comments: