Monday, June 09, 2008

Working

When I was young and still schooling, I used to dream of going out into the workforce and providing for myself.

I wanted to move out and live on my own, because that to me means independence.

Everyone was telling me how different it is going to be in the "real" world. How everyone is very cunning and such.

When I finally started working, I don't really feel it's much different from when I was studying in Ngee Ann Polytechnic. Maybe it's because I am so used to doing all the nursing stuff, that the difference is not so significant to me. I guess the three months of PRCP really helped me a lot.

When I first got to know that I have been posted to 12C, which is an Orthopaedic ward, I was both disappointed and worried. Disappointed because I requested to go back to 9C, but I was not put back there. Worried because it is an Orthopaedic ward. It has been so long since my Orthopaedic posting, that I have forgotten most of the things that I have learnt. This is a whole new place to me. Everything is very alien to me, the work culture and everything else. Will I be able to adapt? Will I be bullied? What if the staff are very fierce? Will I make any friends? Are the Sisters good?

But my worries were unfound. Lay Hoon must have known that I can handle it, that's why she put me in a new ward, and I will not let her down.

Some of the staff there may look a bit fierce at first meeting, but I realise that they are all really nice and fun-loving people. Christine just commented that she likes my small eyes. She says they are very pretty. That's the first time someone actually admire my small eyes. She even said that if she has a child, she wants her child to have eyes like mine.

Although I have basically thrown away everything that I have learnt during my PRCP, and I made a disaster the first time I took 3 cases, I am sure I will be able to get confirmed within six months and become a competent staff nurse like all of them.

1 comment:

eudora said...

yes you can be a confirmed nurse! I believe in youuuu (: