Thursday, May 08, 2014

I Am Cafe

Mariem wanted to meet for dinner and she suggested this I Am Cafe that I have not heard of before.



Located at Haji Lane, this cafe  swaps air-conditioning for casualness and down-to-earth prices. It is not certified halal, but it is owned by three Muslim brothers.


The waitress recommended Cheezy Bombs and it was really delicious. Deep-fried chicken meatball with melted cheese, they explode in your mouth and will burn your mouth if you are not careful. 


I ordered Charcoal-Grilled Juicy Beef Burger. The beef patty if very juicy but a little under-seasoned, the addition of the pineapple gives the burger a totally different experience. However, it would be great if the beef patty can be made into two thinner ones, so that the burger can be eaten in halves, most girls don't have such a big mouth.


Mariem had Fish 'N' Chips. I had a few bites and it was alright, but I can still taste the taste of the fish, which should not be the case in a good Fish 'N' Chips.

For drinks, I had Stir It Up. This is apparently their signature drink, but I am not impressed. The presentation is good, but the chocolate-milk is not chocolatey enough. It tastes more like diluted milo.


The desserts are not listed on the menu and when the waitress said Seasalt and Caramel Cake, Mariem and I immediately decided on it and we were not at all disappointed. The cream on-top and in between the layers were all made of seasalt and caramel. The saltiness of seasalt and sweetness of caramel matches perfectly. The sponge cake is soft and fluffy. The only complain I have is that it is too big a piece and we have problem finishing it.


Water is free-flow and self-served, dispensed from this giant glass flask filled with lemons, strawberry, and mint leaves. This has got to be the most delicious water I have ever tasted! 

The food served at I AM Cafe is definitely not the best I have eaten but the relaxing ambience and liveliness of the place makes up for it. The fact that there is a cute waiter working there is probably one of the most important reasons Mariem is going back there again and again. 

No comments: