Saturday, July 12, 2014

Mikoto Singapore

Stella has been raving about Mikoto Singapore ever since she ate there. She brought her boyfriend and a few other friends there and they were all full of praises. Is it really that good? I started to wonder. I jumped at the chance when Stella invited me to have dinner with her boyfriend and her at Mikoto Singapore.


I started off with Red Plum Liquor. You can't really taste the alcohol probably because the alcohol content is lower, but the taste of red plum is refreshing.


This is Nitsuke. It looked so good on the menu, but it was a little disappointing. The only noteworthy thing is the sauce.


This is Chicken Nanban. The chicken pieces are perfectly deep-fried. Tartar sauce is made with Japanese pickled eggplants called shibazuke which gives it the pick colour. This is definitely the highlight of the meal!


This is Vegetable Stick with Anchovy Sauce. The raw vegetables are very fresh and they go very well with the slightly-salty anchovy sauce.


This is Ham Cheese Katsu and it is only available on the special menu. Stella made a special order and the chef agreed to make it for us because Stella is a regular. The ham-and-cheese combination is a sure crowd pleaser but I feel that they over-did it by adding the sauce on top. The sauce is too salty and it covered the taste of the katsu.


This is Itammaki Roll. It is chicken wrapped in spring roll and deep fried. It doesn't taste as good as it looks. 


This is Mixed Tempura. I have never been a fan of tempura because I find them too oily, so I shall not give any comments.


This is Neapolitan. It looked really good on the menu, but I was disappointed. The sauce is too sour and the portion is huge. I did not finish it, but I don't really feel very guilty about it.


This is the before and after photos of Prawn Feiro. The prawns are wrapped in dumpling skin and it is steamed in front of you. The prawns are very fresh, but I don't think the dumpling skin worked well.


Stella's boyfriend ordered Udon and it was so damn good! The restaurant made the udon themselves. The noodles are springy and smooth. Add a little freshly-grinded ginger and dip it in sauce, it is so simple yet so satisfying. This is the other highlight of the meal. I am so ordering this the next time I visit.

I feel that Mikoto Singapore is not really as awesome as Stella and her friends make it out to be. This is a place where you get to try many traditional Japanese dishes (obanzai) that are not available elsewhere in Singapore. It is more of a hit and miss situation where you can have a very good meal if you know what to order or you can have a very bad meal if you are not familiar with the menu. Having said that, I don't think it's possible to know the menu by heart because they change their menu everyday!   

The serve of the staff is excellent. Everyone is very polite and smiles are very bright and genuine (this is a trademark of all Japanese restaurants. Japanese has the best customer service). Special thanks to Rebecca who helped me figure out the names of the dishes after I described the dishes to her over the phone. This post would not have been possible without her.

Oh, there is a promotion on J Passport for Chicken Nanban Set at 50% off. Here is the link: https://www.passp.asia/mikoto (it is only available on mobile phone).


No comments: