Skip to main content

The Book Cafe

During my staycation with my girlfriends at Studio M Hotel, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that The Book Cafe is just opposite the hotel. This is a cafe that I have wanted to try for a very long time, but it's not near any of my usual hangout so I did not have the chance to try it out, until now.

We had lunch there on both days. 

I am not over the All-Day Breakfast crave yet (and probably never will), I decided to have something from the All-Day Breakfast menu. I ordered Omelette, Vanilla Milkshake and I had some of the Potato Wedges and Wing Zing that my girlfriends ordered.




The vanilla milkshake is delicious. It tastes like melted premium vanilla ice-cream. It is thick and creamy, and velvet smooth.

I am not really a fan of potato wedges, so I'm not going to comment on them, but my girlfriends liked them, that should count for something.

The Omelette is described as served "with Emmenthal Cheese & Lean Bacon served with Avocado & Japanese Tomato Salad, Sour Cream & Organic Toast" in the menu. The omelette itself is cheesy and eggy, exactly how I like my omelette to be. I think they replaced the Emmenthal Cheese and Lean Bacon with rosti which is deliciously done with a crispy outside and soft inside. The sour cream takes away the oiliness. The dish would have been perfect if the toast had been the thick one like those served at Food For Thought (Botanical Gardens) .

On the second day, still ordered from the All-Day Breakfast menu. I had Eggs Benedict and Traditional Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice-cream.



The poached eggs and hollandaise sauce are done to perfection, but the ham and muffin at the bottom are too dry which is probably the result of being left in the open for too long. The rosti is still as good as before, but I think everything would have tasted so much better if the food had been hotter. The whole dish tastes as if it was left outside for half an hour before it was served to me. 

Likewise for the Traditional Apple Pie with Vanilla Ice-cream, the apple pie would have tasted so much better if it had been served to me piping hot. The apple pie is a little sour if eaten on its own, but the sweetness of the vanilla ice-cream balances out the tanginess, and it is simply perfect. The fresh apple slices is a nice little addition which refreshes your mouth.

The Book Cafe has not disappointed me (maybe except the hotness of the food and the service, but I can understand because they are really understaffed), it is everything I thought it would be and more.

Even if I do not come for the food, this would be the perfect place to waste a lazy afternoon away with a cup of hot chocolate and a book from their collection, or you can bring along your own reading material or laptop because the cafe provides power points and free WIFI. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mikoto Singapore

Stella has been raving about Mikoto Singapore ever since she ate there. She brought her boyfriend and a few other friends there and they were all full of praises. Is it really that good? I started to wonder. I jumped at the chance when Stella invited me to have dinner with her boyfriend and her at Mikoto Singapore.


I started off with Red Plum Liquor. You can't really taste the alcohol probably because the alcohol content is lower, but the taste of red plum is refreshing.

This is Nitsuke. It looked so good on the menu, but it was a little disappointing. The only noteworthy thing is the sauce.

This is Chicken Nanban. The chicken pieces are perfectly deep-fried. Tartar sauce is made with Japanese pickled eggplants called shibazuke which gives it the pick colour. This is definitely the highlight of the meal!

This is Vegetable Stick with Anchovy Sauce. The raw vegetables are very fresh and they go very well with the slightly-salty anchovy sauce.

This is Ham Cheese Katsu and it is only …

I Am Cafe

Mariem wanted to meet for dinner and she suggested this I Am Cafe that I have not heard of before.



Located at Haji Lane, this cafe  swaps air-conditioning for casualness and down-to-earth prices. It is not certified halal, but it is owned by three Muslim brothers.


The waitress recommended Cheezy Bombs and it was really delicious. Deep-fried chicken meatball with melted cheese, they explode in your mouth and will burn your mouth if you are not careful. 

I ordered Charcoal-Grilled Juicy Beef Burger. The beef patty if very juicy but a little under-seasoned, the addition of the pineapple gives the burger a totally different experience. However, it would be great if the beef patty can be made into two thinner ones, so that the burger can be eaten in halves, most girls don't have such a big mouth.

Mariem had Fish 'N' Chips. I had a few bites and it was alright, but I can still taste the taste of the fish, which should not be the case in a good Fish 'N' Chips.
For drinks,…

Awfully Chocolate

I have a sweet tooth, but I am not a big fan of chocolates because I find them too sweet.

However, if I ever have craving for chocolate cake, THE place I will go to is Awfully Chocolate.

I can't remember who introduced me to Awfully Chocolate, but I have been hooked ever since.




The Salted Butterscotch Brownie is really good. You can taste the butterscotch in every bite, but it is a little too sweet for me.
The Super Stacked Chocolate Cake is the one for me. It is super chocolatey, yet it is not overly sweet. It is the most popular item for a reason.
The White Choclate Creme Brulee Tart is too sweet, but otherwise delicious. 
Don't take my word for it - go and try them for yourself! I promise that you will not regret it.